Wrench, Ride, Repeat

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the Moto Kommunity

News Feed Forums Project Build Logs 1975 Laverda SF2

• 1975 Laverda SF2

Posted by brawyn on 2 Feb 2022 at 8:26 pm

Restoration project of my brothers Laverda SF2. 750 twin based on the Honda CB 72 305cc motor. I always loved the look of these bikes and now I own 2 of them with serial nos only 2 apart.

This bike will be restored to standard and I have a freshly rebuilt engine waiting for the rest of it to be restored. The bike is not in the best condition so it will be cleaned and many things fixed.

Currently I have ordered new rear shocks and front fork rebuild kits and am polishing the stainless steel mudguards. I have repainted tank and side covers but most of the chrome work will need to be redone as will the wire wheels.

Looking forward to getting some space at Kustom Kommune so I can work on it regularly.

brawyn replied 10 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • brawyn

4 Feb 2022 at 1:23 pm

I’m going to try to rebuild the wire wheels myself which I haven’t done before. Some research suggests that the original spokes are the best so I will try and rescue them and restore them and then rebuild the wheels. Stainless spokes are thinner than original and prone to break so original is the way. My back up plan is to purchase a new set of original spokes at $85 Canadian per set.

Key things to watch are measure the hub offset before you do anything and take detailed photos of the spoke patterns. Take it apart very slowly and 1/2 a turn for each spoke and do the whole wheel and repeat until the spokes are loose. I soaked the nipples with rust busting lubricant which I did 3 times over 3 days because my spokes were rusted in. Then I used a adjustable wrench cos I couldn’t get a spoke spanner. I will do some photos over the weekend to show what I am doing.

Finished bike will look like this but better