Wrench, Ride, Repeat

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the Moto Kommunity

News Feed Forums Project Build Logs 1972 XS650 Custom

• 1972 XS650 Custom

Posted by jimmyg on 1 Feb 2022 at 10:17 pm

I recently picked up a early XS2 as a box of parts and rolling frame. I’ve always wanted a XS as I’m a huge fan of the engine, they look amazing and go so good!

The plan is to build a something reminiscent of a BratStyle Chopper – stripped back, low and only fitting what’s required for RWC. Being that it’s Pre-1973 the bike isn’t required to comply with full Australian Design Rules (ADR). No indicators, Brake light only needs to connect to one switch, one mirror etc.

First job on the list was to clean up the engine, repaint and fit new gaskets.

Degreased > Blasted > Primed > Painted > Baked > Sanded fins.

I decided to use a black wrinkle finish engine enamel and then leave the cases and covers raw.

Fitted the engine back in the frame to start fabricating the new subframe, which is next on the list.

??

Here’s a little history on the XS650:

When the Yamaha XS 650 was launched in October 1969 it had one of the most advanced engines in its class of large parallel twin motorcycles. The engine and gearbox are unit construction with the crankcasesplit horizontally for ease of assembly whereas almost all contemporaries in its class in 1969 are either unit construction with a vertically split crankcase or pre-unit construction with separate engine and gearbox. The XS650’s engine was used in AMA Professional Dirt Track Racing by national champion Kenny Roberts. In 1969 only the Laverda 750S, and the Honda CB350, also launched that year, matched the XS 650’s modernity of unit construction and SOHC valve operation.

BobberWil replied 3 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • jimmyg

Administrator
    1 Feb 2022 at 10:34 pm

Inspo for the build ??

• kmh

2 Feb 2022 at 9:47 pm

Love the look great job well done

• BobberWil

17 Aug 2022 at 4:21 pm

Interesting to see how this pans out. I’m looking at possibly re-igniting my 1980 xs650 project also.